The Blue Bengal Athletic Association, a booster club organization supporting all Tiger sports, showed its true colors Tuesday by presenting a $10,000 check to Jackson State University as part of an ongoing campus-wide fundraising campaign.
JSU interim President Rod Paige, said, “I thank the Blue Bengal Athletic Association from the deepest part of my heart. It shows people have a great love for this university, not an inactive love but an active love by working and making such a significant contribution. I’m proud of all the supporters I’ve bumped into since I’ve returned here. This is an amazing university. I’m grateful for that.”
Furthermore, Paige said, “This has been a special part of my life to come back to Jackson. I had no idea I would be back here, especially in a capacity like this. I’ve been so grateful to be here.”
Joann Jones, president of the athletic association, said the organization enthusiastically accepted the president’s challenge.
“So far, we’ve raised $10,000 and, hopefully, more will pour in. We wanted to express our ‘Thee We Love,’ Jones said. “We are an organization that supports athletics 100 percent. We donate annually. We’ve done so much to support the university. For example, we’ve helped to redo the gym floor in the Lee E. Williams Athletics and Assembly Center, underwrite the annual athletics awards banquet and assist each sport. The support we provide enables various sports to do whatever they need to accomplish their goals.”
Other members of the Blue Bengal expressed their devotion to Jackson State and issued a challenge of their own:
- “We urge all businesses to join in this effort because this university has an extraordinary economic impact on this city. Invest in Jackson State because every entity benefits from JSU’s presence.”
- “We’re faithful alumni. We’re not fair-weather supporters.”
- “This is a historically black college in the city of Jackson, where most of us live, and we want to make sure it does well.”
- “We challenge graduates and anybody who attended Jackson State to support the drive issued by Dr. Paige. … Pay your alumni dues and join in this challenge.”
- “We want people who never attended Jackson State to participate in this challenge because we have all types of sports.”
- “We always want Jackson State to be considered a vital part of this community.”
For more information about the Blue Bengal Athletic Association, which was founded in 1977 by legendary JSU Coach W.C. Gorden, visit BBAA.