The 2018 spring session of the Public Management and Leadership Certificate Program (PML) has begun its fourth year under the direction of Dr. Otha Burton Jr.
PML focuses on preparing personnel in lower-middle-level leadership roles to assist with the success of their public organizations. The session will cover intense instruction in five core subjects over a 16-week interval.
Qualifying participants must be employed in government/public sector “middle management” positions. A total of 14 cohort participants were admitted into the program.
- Dr. Tiffany Anderson, grants officer at Hinds County Administrators Office
- Cornelius D. Beasley, assistant vice president of community program at Hinds County Human Resource Agency
- Tabatha Terrell-Brooks, JSU director of alumni and constituency relations
- Eunetta Hart, executive assistant at JSU
- Yolanda Jones, MDOT manager
- Genice Knight, administrative assistant at JSU
- Roger Lutrell, vice president of planning and development at Hinds County Human Resource Agency
- Shiandra Luckett, management information at Hinds County Human Resource Agency
- Tonya Moore, manager at MDOT
- Valerie Moton, division manager at Hinds County Chancery Clerk
- Cynthia Mackey-Shorter, database administrator at MDOT
- Nathaniel Taylor, senior network specialist at MDOT
- Daniel Todd, lead business analyst at MDOT
- Janice Yancey, transit specialist senior at MDOT
Highly experienced and practitioner-driven faculty will lead discussions with participants in an interactive and shared-interest format. Faculty for this year’s session will include Harvey Johnson Jr., former mayor of Jackson; Dr. Marvel Turner, former JSU interim vice president and chief financial officer; attorney Will Simpson, policy adviser and counsel to the Governor; Jan Sims, Mississippi Personnel Board director of workforce development; and attorney Terry Wallace, assistant district attorney for the 22nd Circuit Court.
Cohort participants who successfully complete the professional development training will conclude the program with a certificate in Public Management and Leadership awarded by Jackson State University, the College of Public Service and the Institute of Government.
The Mississippi Personnel Board recognizes the PML certificate.
For additional information regarding the Public Management and Leadership program, contact Burton at firstname.lastname@example.org.