JSU’s Department of Facilities and Construction Management (FCM) took the spotlight during a recent hotspot on the Gibbs-Green Memorial Plaza to share with the campus community its vast array of services from transportation and campus maintenance to safety and environmental health issues.
La’Kitha B. Hughes, associate director of FCM, described the event as “a good opportunity for faculty, staff and students to learn more about our operations. Many people are not aware of what Facilities does. Today, they have a much better idea. The hotspot was a good interaction between all of us, and it allows Facilities to inform our faculty, staff and students on what we do a daily basis.”
Indeed, FCM does so much more, including responding to gas leaks and heating and cooling issues.
If that’s a surprise, then you might be unaware that FCM also performs the following:
- Defensive driving courses
- Reserve-a-vehicle workshops
- Golf cart training
- Planning and construction
- Shuttle service throughout the main campus and to the Mississippi e-Center@JSU, Jackson Medical Mall and Metro Center
- Property Management Central Receiving: deliveries, receiving, removal of undesired equipment and furniture
- Fire safety instructions
- Energy conservation tips
Hughes said she anticipates that Facilities will continue the hotspot during freshmen Welcome Week events and homecoming.
“I’m so excited that Facilities was able to interact and answer everyone’s questions,” Hughes said.