Dr. William B. Bynum Jr. will be officially sworn in as Jackson State University’s 11thpresident during an investiture ceremony at 11 a.m. Thursday, Oct. 11, in the Rose E. McCoy Auditorium on the main campus.
Bynum, a two-time president, has more than 27 years of experience in higher education. On May 31, 2017, he was unanimously selected by the Mississippi Institutions of Higher Learning Board to lead JSU.
The event will be presided by JSU vice president and chief of staff Dr. Debra Mays-Jackson. IHL Commissioner Dr. Alfred Rankins Jr. will perform the official installation.
Bynum, a native of Rocky Mount, North Carolina, earned his Bachelor of Arts degree in sociology from Davidson College. He received his master’s and doctorate degrees in sociology from Duke University.
Thursday’s inauguration will be followed by a reception in the atrium of the College of Science, Engineering and Technology building. Later, at 6 p.m., the inauguration committee will host a ticketed event, the “President’s Inauguration Celebration Dinner,” at the Jackson Convention Complex. The dinner will feature renowned national gospel artist Marvin Sapp. Cost is $125.
Other upcoming events surrounding the inauguration:
- 11 a.m. Friday, Oct. 12: First Lady’s Scholarship Luncheon at the Mississippi Civil Rights Museum. Cost is $100.
- 8 a.m. Saturday, Oct. 13: JSU Homecoming Parade on the main campus
- 2 p.m. Saturday, Oct. 13: JSU Homecoming Game – JSU vs. Mississippi Valley State University at the Mississippi Veterans Memorial Stadium
- 9 a.m. Sunday, Oct. 14: Homecoming Worship Service at New Horizon International Church
- Noon Sunday, Oct. 14: Inauguration Jazz Brunch at Iron Horse Grill. Cost is $45.