Justin A. Starks, a 2015 graduate of Jackson State University, has been chosen as one of the “12 Outstanding Airmen of the Year” by the Air Force.
Starks, a Jackson native, is stationed at Joint Base Andrews in Prince George’s County, Maryland, as a fireman. However, he is currently deployed to Africa.
Thirty-six nominees who represented major commands, direct reporting units, field operating agencies and Headquarters Air Force were considered by the selection board at the Air Force’s Personnel Center. The board chose the 12 Airmen based on superior leadership, job performance and personal achievements.
Starks and 11 other honorees are now sanctioned to wear the “Outstanding Airman of the Year” badge for one year.
The HBCU alum is also a Lanier High School graduate.
The Twelve Outstanding Airmen of the Year (alphabetically, by command of assignment when selected):
- Master Sgt. Jahara A. Brown, Air Force Materiel Command
- Staff Sgt. Caryn N. Frederick, Air Force Reserve Command
- Senior Master Sgt. Sylvetris S. Hlongwane, Pacific Air Forces
- Senior Airman Gary G. Jeffrey III, Air Education and Training Command
- Senior Master Sgt. Andrew J. Kehl, Air Combat Command
- Technical Sgt. Inna A. Lvova, Air Force Space Command
- Senior Master Sgt. Philip B. McAlpin Jr, Air Force Global Strike Command
- Technical Sgt. Andrew C. Merrylees, Air National Guard
- Technical Sgt. Kenneth T. O’Brien, Air Force Special Operations Command
- Senior Airman Misty A. Richmond, U.S. Air Forces in Europe
- Senior Airman Justin A. Starks, Air Force District of Washington
- Staff Sgt. Christopher M. Stuebbe, Air Mobility Command